I grew up telling people I was healthy, that I ‘just’ have psoriasis and that is fine. The only thing is, having psoriasis does not make you healthy. It can make being healthy much, much harder.
In this interview, we talk to Consultant Dermatologist Dr. Jon Goulding about the wider implications of living with psoriasis. He knows for sure that psoriasis is more than a disease of the skin.
Jon is refreshingly open and honest about the state of psoriasis care at present and has an optimistic view of where we are going.
- How psoriasis falls short in government set expectations for care
- How the mental health aspect of psoriasis is an important feature of effective care (and how it should be assessed in every appointment)
- The role of nutrition in psoriasis care- there is an important link 🙂
- Are Biologics safer than Cyclosporine and Methotrexate?
- The difference between an NHS and a private Dermatology appointment
- Your Questions Answered
- How to deal with ‘Old School’ Dermatologists / What to do if you don’t like your Dermatologist
(If you are looking for tips on getting the most out of your Dermatology appointment then you may like this interview with Alisha Bridges)
About Dr. Jon Goulding
Jon is a consultant dermatologist working in the NHS with University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (Solihull and Good Hope Hospitals). He also consults privately at Spire Little Aston Hospital in Sutton Coldfield, and Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital in Leamington. He is passionate about the speciality of dermatology and is committed to offering the best possible service to patients. He cares for patients with the full range of skin problems but particular sub-specialty interests include inflammatory skin disease, male genital dermatology and psychodermatology.
If you have a minute, please can you leave a review? It helps us to rank higher in search so more people can find us. Let’s face it- would you type psoriasis into a podcast search? We are not your average podcast 🙂
Resources We Mention
Adult Improving Access to Psychological Therapies Programme: https://www.england.nhs.uk/mental-health/adults/iapt/
Dr. Jon Gouldings private clinics: https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/consultants/dr-jon-goulding, https://www.spirehealthcare.com/consultant-profiles/dr-jon-goulding-c6030146/